How to make paleo/primal crumbed chicken
Crumbed chicken or pork schnitzel is a top favourite in our family. When we decided to cut out wheat and other grains from our diet, I was determined to find a good substitute for this delicious food. So how does one make a crumbed meat dish without using bread crumbs? The good news is that it is possible and the result is absolutely scrumptious! Here is the recipe.
Paleo/Primal Crumbed Chicken Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts (beaten flat with a meat mallet)
- 2 free range eggs, whisked
- 1-1.5 cups ground almonds (almond flour also works fine)
- 0.5 teaspoon salt (or mixture of salt and garlic salt)
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsp chicken spice/rub
Note: You can pretty much use any dried herbs and seasoning that tickles your fancy, e.g. paprika, dried sage, dried basil, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes, masala spice etc.
- Combine ground almonds/almond flour and herbs in one bowl.
- Whisk eggs in another bowl.
- Dip chicken into egg and then into crumb mixture.
Cooking Method (Oven-baked):
- Preheat oven to 180 c.
- Prepare a baking tray and grease with melted coconut oil or duck fat.
- Lay crumbed chicken on the baking tray.
- Spray pieces lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until just cooked. Turn over half way through cooking.
If you want a crisper coating then I suggest you use the pan-frying method below.
- Heat 2 generous tablespoons of duck fat or coconut oil in a frying pan.
- Fry crumbed chicken fillets on medium heat until cooked, turning once during cooking (about 5 minutes a side).
This recipe is so easy to make and is so much healthier than the ready-made crumbed chicken or pork schnitzels you buy at the shops, which are often laden with vegetable oils, gluten and carbs. All these nasties can cause inflammation, bowel discomfort and a thicker waistline.
I hope you give this option a try and that you enjoy primal crumbed chicken as much as we do.
Posted on October 4, 2013, in Meal inspiration, Primal 101 and tagged grain-free crumbed chicken, paleo crumbed chicken, paleo schnitzels, primal crumbed chicken, primal schnitzels. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.