Recipe: Ginger/Lemon Cordial
Here is a recipe for those of you who want options other than water to drink. This drink is refreshing and delicious, especially when served with sparkling water, ice and fresh mint leaves. It is made from fresh, natural ingredients and contains no sugar. It is also a good option for your child’s “juice” bottle for school. A little goes a long way and makes water taste way more interesting.
- Fresh ginger root (about 180 grams or thereabouts)
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- 6 tablespoons of xylitol or erythritol (use more or less according to personal taste)
- 500 ml water
- Peel and chop ginger up into little pieces and put into a medium-sized pot.
- Add the water to the pot.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice and stir in the xylitol.
- Simmer this mixture gently for about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into a glass jug or bottle.
- Store in the fridge.
- When serving mix 1 part cordial to 4 parts water.
- Serve with ice, fresh mint leaves and sparkling water or add to a cup of boiling water for a hot drink.
Here is a printer-friendly PDF version of the recipe Ginger Lemon Cordial