Awesome bread recipe (free from gluten and dairy)
I like trying different recipes to vary flavours and also to find my favourites. You know ….. the ones you tend to make over and over again because they are yummy and easy? In this post I share one of my favourite recipes I found for bread that is dairy-free, grain and gluten-free as well as seed-free. I think I found it in the Sunday Times. It is perfect for those who don’t like the taste of flaxseed in their bread and for those who are dairy intolerant.
Taking gluten out of your diet could be the single best thing you will ever do for your health. It could be that even though you are not aware of it, or tests have proved negative for gluten intolerance – you are still suffering the effects from gluten proteins that are found in all grains (even corn and rice).
Here are some ways that gluten affects people:
- Joint pain
- Numbness and tingling
- Brain fog
- Depression and irritability
- Headaches and migraines
- Balance problems and dizziness
- Chronic fatigue or Fybromyalgia
- Skin rashes
- Attention deficit disorders
- Low iron levels and anaemia
- Digestive problems and constipation
- Autoimmune diseases
- And there are more……
Coconut Milk and Almond Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 cups almond flour (or any other kind of nut flour)
- 2 tbsp psyllium husks
- 5 ml salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 310 ml coconut milk
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted) or olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) honey
- Pre-heat over to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and line a 17 cm loaf tin.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients. Sift if necessary.
- In a separate bowl , whisk the coconut milk, eggs, coconut oil, vinegar and honey together with an electric mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf tin and press down firmly.
- Smooth the top of the loaf with a spatula.
- Optional: Scatter some flaked almonds over the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan before turning out.
Note: You can also make it a more savoury loaf by adding grated cheese, bacon bits and dried Italian herbs into the batter.
Here is a downloadable and printer-friendly version of the recipe in PDF format. Coconut milk and almond bread
Another bread recipe favourite of mine is this one. Banting seed loaf